Signamic offers a range of services to employers that can help organisations become more effective as communicators with Deaf people. As a Deaf-led company, we have a wealth of expertise to draw on when it comes to advising strategically on making your organisation ready to match the high expectations of the Deaf community. We can work with you to make your organisation more accessible to its Deaf staff and clients, using our tool box of training, resources and services.
- training programmes on Deaf Awareness and BSL; Mentoring and Coaching; and Training, Assessment and Quality Assurance;
- bespoke training;
- resources in Deaf-friendly formats; and
- consultancy as a one off or an ongoing basis.
Meeting your organisation’s needs: Training
Signamic has a highly experienced team of teachers and assessors, who are also amongst the top practitioners in the UK. They bring with them many years of experience in various sectors, and working with a wide range of companies.
Drawing on the know-how of our team of experienced trainers, we will work with you to ensure that all your needs are met. Signamic is extremely well equipped to ensure that we meet all the required learning outcomes required in the workplace. A dedicated member of staff will be available during office hours for companies to liaise with directly about any issues that may arise.
- Introduction to Deaf Awareness and BSL: This 2-day workshop raises awareness of all ranges of deafness and the barriers facing Deaf people. It looks at appropriate communication tactics to use with a Deaf person and includes an introduction to British Sign Language.
- Signature Level1 in Deaf Awareness and Communication. Over 3 days this course covers 2 modules: Deaf and Deafblind Awareness; and Communication Tactics with Deaf and Deafblind people. It consists of 20 Guided Learning Hours and in addition, students are required to spend 20 hours learning in their own time.
British Sign Language
We can offer any of the workshops and courses below in a range of options to suit your schedules:
- BSL Tasters and Introduction to BSL workshops.
- Signature Level 1 Award in BSL: 64 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) that can be delivered 1 day per week for 10 weeks; 1 half day per week over 20 weeks; or 2 intensive blocks of 5 days.
- Signature Level 2 Certificate in BSL: 90 GLHs that can be delivered 1 day per week for 20 weeks; 1 half day per week over 40 weeks or as an intensive course.
- Signature Level 3 and 6 NVQ Certificates in BSL: These are delivered in two parts – Part 1 as the language and skills development; and Part 2 as the portfolio development and assessment.
Mentoring and Coaching
These qualifications are aimed at workplace team leaders and workplace coaches who wish to achieve professional qualifications. They are designed for them to demonstrate in practice that they can facilitate, identify and develop the skills required when working with staff teams and learners.
- OCR Level 3 Certificate in Learning and Development (Coaching and Mentoring)
- OCR Level 4 Diploma in Learning and Development (Coaching and Mentoring)
For more information on these qualifications go to pages 34-35.
With our expertise and a wide range of training and assessment programmes in our portfolio, Signamic is able to provide a high quality customised training programme or a blended learning approach to fit a bespoke training requirement. We can tailor a training package to suit your needs, timescales and budget. See the section on Bespoke Courses.
Locations for Training
Training courses can be delivered in the workplace, or in our training centre, or at a suitable venue upon your request. We are also able to offer away days and residential training.
The costs depend on the training required, group size, duration of the programme, location and venue. Where we can, we will work with you to find a training solution that fits your budget.
Providing greater access: Deaf-friendly Resources
We can produce HR Handbooks and Packs with information on Deafness: the facts, and useful tips on what to do and what not to do in the workplace. We can work with you to make your resources more accessible for Deaf staff and customers by producing BSL translated options. We are at the forefront of BSL translation and can produce high quality BSL formats for your websites, handbooks and promotional materials.
Amongst the many organisations that we have delivered training to are:
- NHS: Springfield Hospital and The National Deaf Service: BSL and Interpreter training in Deaf Mental Health, BSL Levels 1, 2 and 3 NVQ
- Royal Exeter Academy for Deaf Education: BSL Levels 1 and 2; and Level 3 NVQ
- Metropolitan Police Service: BSL Level 2 and Level 3 NVQ
- Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd: Introduction to BSL and Deaf Awareness; and Level 1 Award in BSL
- BBC staff including the See Hear team : Deaf Awareness, BSL for beginners, intermediate and advanced
- Ministry of Defence: Deaf Awareness and BSL Level 1
- Unicorn Theatre: Deaf Awareness and Beginners BSL
- The Drill Hall: Deaf Awareness
- Graeae Theatre Company: BSL Coaching
Quotes from satisfied customers
"I really enjoyed the whole weekend and thought the organisation was brilliant. The workshops were varied and interesting. The tutors are all knowledgeable and supportive. Well done to all the staff at Signamic! A huge success all round!"
Residential weekend participant from NDS
"Teachers and facilitators excellent! Good attitude and good fun! Thanks!"
"So nice not to have to worry about anything, because as usual Signamic has planned everything so thoroughly."
"Signamic have been fantastic. I have now completed 3 courses with them and their professionalism and efficiency is amazing. The courses are well structured with content, dates, expectations, evidence requirements etc clearly set out, and Stuart and the team have given constructive advice and guidance every step of the way. At last - a training provider who thoroughly knows the curriculum/standards and is able to deliver - with humour!"
If you are interested in finding out more about our services for organisations submit an employer’s enquiry form and we will be in touch.